Light sources
Home > Forum Index > Immersion committee > Light sources

KawasakiNinja
Rules
I have looked around various places in Vancouver (BC) and not found any period looking lamps that aren't propane based. All the battery powered ones aren't perfect, but better than nothing (and I'm hoping maybe with a coat of paint it'll look better).

Anyway, is there a place someone might know of to get period light sources with non-white light.

Our play area after the sun goes down is far too dark.
On that note, remember that one time immersion put tapestries over the lights in the tavern at flagler? It muted the lights with still lighting up the space. I liked it, b/c I could see and wasn't offended by seeing florescent lights on. Could we do something like that in the future? Right now with no lights on and only a handful of lamps it's hard to see anything after dark.
Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:02 am

Reply with quote  Back to top

jay
Using Mod Podge mixed with gold paint gives a nicer 'frosted' effect than just painting the lantern glass to mute the white light, and doesn't look like ass with the light turned off. Rona (and I think Canadian Tire?) has a nice 'hammered metal' selection of spraypaints that make the rest of the lamp look much better.

You can also get candle lanterns with coloured glass (ebay search for 'moroccan lantern' or sometimes Canadian Tire has them) and put a nice bright LED light in it. Or, depending on your character, chinese paper lanterns might be an option?

Also, if you get one that lets you take it apart to change the light bulb, you might be able to find a red light to replace it with?

Also, ebay is your friend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Olde-Brooklyn-Lantern-LED-Light-Battery-Antique-Lantern-AS-SEEN-ON-TV-/271175960873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2358c929

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Asian-Lantern-FREE-battery-operated-LED-candle-/300891438266?pt=Candle_Holders_Accessories&hash=item460e86fcba

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-miniature-lantern-made-in-Japan-2-bulb-colors-red-and-white-battery-ran-/330909422523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0bbd13bb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dietz-Comet-battery-operated-lantern-w-red-globe-/111053223729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19db49b731

OH I ALMOST FORGOT - Go to Home Outfitters and check out their patio lantern selection. You won't get the classic oil lamp shaped lights there, but they have some nice stuff, mostly looking like fancypants candle lanterns.
Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 am

EtherDragon
I bought a half-dozen larger LED candles to donate to immursion for the tavern - they use 4 AA batteries each. I have been using them for months and have yet to need to replace the batteries.

LED period looking lanterns are a seasonal thing mostly available in stores during the fall. However, I found these on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Carol-Wright-Gifts-Vintage-Lantern/dp/B004HWCWBW/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_1

The plastic cylindar in the middle needs to be processed for Legacies; Here is what I did to the ones that I bought earlier:

Step 1: Sand the plastic to frost it with rough grit.
Step 2: Paint a light coat of Yellow then Red.
Step 3: Sand the paint with rough grit until most of the light gets through again.
Step 4: Throw in a "Flame Orange" lighting filter right into the middle cylindar.

I'm buying and processing some of these for tavern immursion as well - should be ready by next month.
Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Jessie
Logistics World
EtherDragon wrote:
The plastic cylindar in the middle needs to be processed for Legacies; Here is what I did to the ones that I bought earlier:

Step 1: Sand the plastic to frost it with rough grit.
Step 2: Paint a light coat of Yellow then Red.
Step 3: Sand the paint with rough grit until most of the light gets through again.
Step 4: Throw in a "Flame Orange" lighting filter right into the middle cylindar.

Can we do this to all of the tavern lanterns? Some of them are REALLY abrasively white-bright...

(I would be willing to donate the time to doing this. I could take them home with me and fix them between events.)
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Silver
May I ask how you got the center cylinder out to paint that? Cause I got an Olde Brooklyn Lantern, which seems to be the same design, and have no idea how to do so without breaking it.
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm

EtherDragon
Yea, the "Old Brooklyn Lanter" is exactly the one...

You have to lift up the top (it's hard because they make it hard to do a real lantern is easier to pull the top up on...) and then the whole middle assembly tilts on a hinge.

You can get the globe out easy, and unscrew the plastic cylinder to process it.
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Ember
Crap, I was going to ask you to take mine home and do your magic and I completely forgot. So right now it has this horrible Grocery Outlet plastic bag wrap job. Embarassed

After next event, perhaps?
Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm

jay
The immersion lanterns are not the right design to use Abe's process, but the do have a layer of frosting on them and I have been trying to find time to do another. It is hard to judge how much dimmer I should make them as it seems half the playership is complaining they are too bright and the other half that they are not bright enough. (also you can double check that the big ones are set to low as they have a dimmer switch - this also ectends battery life) But I will try to make them less white.
Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

EtherDragon
Ember wrote:
Crap, I was going to ask you to take mine home and do your magic and I completely forgot. So right now it has this horrible Grocery Outlet plastic bag wrap job. Embarassed

After next event, perhaps?

Yea, totally.
Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm

EtherDragon
Jay wrote:
The immersion lanterns are not the right design to use Abe's process, but the do have a layer of frosting on them and I have been trying to find time to do another. It is hard to judge how much dimmer I should make them as it seems half the playership is complaining they are too bright and the other half that they are not bright enough. (also you can double check that the big ones are set to low as they have a dimmer switch - this also ectends battery life) But I will try to make them less white.

I think, since the Tavern Lanterns are already frosted, all they really need is a Flame-Red gell either inserted inside (if possible) or attached to the outside in such a way as they don't let plain white light through. Even so, these particular lanterns put out enough light where they are better in the corners adding ambient light to the room rather than direct light on the tables - but I know finding a way to mount them is problematic.

Also, we have had issues with battery management - they get left on, or whatever, and we have plenty of light for Friday - and none for Saturday. So we need to make a more concious effort of turning out the lanterns we don't use.
Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Thrundor
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/candle_lantern-_red/enamelware_lanterns

I think that these might make good personal lanterns. They look like the old oil lanterns but are lit with a tea-candle instead.

All you would need to do make it legacies friendly is removed the glass chimney and then just use a LED tea-candle instead of a real one.

And a small piece of Velcro (shaped so it doesn't cover the switch) could be used to keep the candle from randomly falling out.

Just an idea.
Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Allen
It would be great if someone who has a REAL period oil lantern to maybe bring it to game. Part of the problem I think is that no one really knows how bright things are supposed to be. The cheap little tea light and most other candles we use are not as bright as real candles, and the lanterns that are undimmed are much brighter then real lanterns but, the ones that are muted also seem to be much dimmer then real lanterns. So it might be nice to have a real reference.

Also I kind feel like a lot of this discussion gets voided out because we have some many OOG lights that are part of the site. David, Daniel and I were sitting in the tavern this last game when we realized that the only light we could really see was what was coming from the kitchen. Yeah there were covers but there was enough coming through windows and such that you couldn't hardly notice any "candle" light. The same could be said of the light right outside the Barracks. It was so bright that any lanterns or whatever were completely outshone by it. And the light from Plot camp. I know not all of these can be addressed (one of the reasons Flagler is my least favorite site) But maybe some of them can? Could we maybe put less bright bulbs in the site's lights that we can't cover or turn off?
Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:05 pm

jay
There is supposed to be some heavy fleece to actually block out the kitchen light, the tapestries do crap-all in that regard. If Immersion wasn't able to find it I can take a look and double-check it gets packed.

I will bring my oil lamps to next game for you to take a look.
Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Jessie
Logistics World
Could we maybe cover the outside lights with a bit of yellow cloth or something to dim them? Would that help?
Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Allen
This might be too far or crazy or whatever, but what about the kitchen windows? That seemed to be the main problem. Not just light from the kitchen flooding in to the rest of the tavern but also the windows in the kitchen flooding light out into IG areas. I feel like I'm nitpicking but there it is.
Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 am

• Page 1 of 2
  • Goto page 1, 2  Next
  •   
Expand Menu Rulebook Game Setting Character Management Forum Log InRegister
close dialog Login

Forgot User ID or Password?

close dialog Register

By registering users agree to abide by this website's Terms of Use

close dialog Character Management

All requests to create a new character or make changes to existing characters is handled by emailing Logistics. When creating a new character or making significant changes to an existing character players should use the Character card maker. For more minor changes players may just describe the change that they wish to make, for example "I wish to spend 200 favor to buy Skill points, and use those skill points to buy 3 purchases of the Skill Reserve". The email should contain the player's name, and if it is an update to an existing character, the character name as it appears on the character card - Logistics may not be aware of which character a nick name goes to.

Players should also email Logistics with Character Production (Items the character is making with Skills such as Smith, Alchemist, or Spell Wright) for the upcoming month so that Logistics is able to make the Item Tags in advance. For example "I wish to use my 50 Smith production to make a standard crafted 1 handed weapon".

Production and Character Updates MUST be submitted no later than the Friday prior to the event in order to provide Logistics sufficient time to complete the request prior to event, unless Logistics has specifically announced a different policy for a specific event (for example, if events are only 2 weeks apart Logistics often allows submissions into the week of event).
close dialog Upcoming Events