Owner AnnouncementWinter 2018 Rulebook is LIVE View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
Name: login to view

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Winter 2018 Rulebook is LIVE Reply with quote

You can grab either a PDF or Word version of the rulebook at https://www.legacieslarp.org/gamemenu/books.php

There have been no game mechanic changes since the 2nd preview, just improvements to some of the Race write-ups and a number of stupid mistakes on my part. If you want to see the change list you can grab the PDF version at https://www.legacieslarp.org/gamebooks/changelist2018winter.pdf (the zip file that the word doc comes in has the change list as well). I called out in red any mechanic changes since Preview 1, but as mentioned, if you read through the changes that went into Preview 2 there haven't been any changes since then

Again, I want to give a big thanks to the rules team AND the playership who called out places that needed edits (especially Jonathan and Kiti - you both have some eagle eyes when it comes to finding places I screwed up).

It was around this time in 2013 that a couple of phone calls between John and I, initially around addressing flaws in the precursor skill to footwork known as Rush, lead the two of us to drawing out the skeleton for a re-imagined rules system that seemed familiar to existing players, but was essentially an entirely new approach to how racials, spells, skills, etc. were structured. (For those of you who have joined since 2013 and are curious what the system looked like at the time, https://www.legacieslarp.org/gamebooks/rulebook2013winter.pdf was the last rulebook of that older system. And if you want a REAL blast from the past, this was the system that predated that one: https://www.legacieslarp.org/gamebooks/rulebook2001summer.pdf). The rules team spent most of 2013 and a good chunk of early 2014 in numerous skype and in person meetings, several of which were fairly contentious --- err, I mean spirited --- getting that skeleton that John and I sketched out into the system that folks are familiar with today.

Despite all that work, we still got to the point where we were just porting the old system rather than building a new system with nods to what people were familiar with. At some point you have to ship a product, and we got to the point. We hadn't reworked the ritual and magic item system anywhere near the point of what we hoped, several of the racial abilities were shoe horned into the racial point system, etc. That caused a couple of painful subsequent releases, notably the spring release last year where we finally created a ritual and enchantment system purpose built for the newer rules system (and by extension, a huge reworking of the magic skills and spells). With this release, just shy of 4 years after the major system change, I think we have finally hit all the major areas we had intended to overhaul initially, and I'm pretty happy with it. We aren't done tweaking/balancing things (already some discussions on the rules committee forum, because apparently Ben and Dave didn't get enough of the rules these passed couple of months), but with a handful of relatively contained areas, I think we have finally delivered what John and I set out to do almost five years ago.

These changes haven't been without disruption, and I appreciate that the playership has really been understanding and patient with those disruptions. Ray and his helpers have been awesome on Logistics helping facilitate all of this (and before that, everyone who helped with re-write day 4 years ago, and everyone who showed up for it), the various rules teams have spent way more nights and weekends talking to me than I suspect they ever wanted to (especially Dave, Anna, and Plazz, who have endured the entirety of this march), and I am pretty sure that John and I are now technically common law spouses at least according to a couple states.

This is a milestone that has been very long in the works, and it comes out on the 21st anniversary of Legacies. I'm really proud of everyone who helped get us to this point, and I encourage all of you to seek out the rules team and the logistics team and let them know you appreciate their work. We have fundamentally "reinvented" our rules system three times in the passed 21 years (in 2002/3 and 2013/14), which is reasonably unique for a LARP to do, but despite that I think there remains a familiarity within the rules that has kept the game "Legacies" despite the changes (and also that's John and my excuse for when we use out dated rules. Well, and that we are old)

With all of that said, one area where we would still like to explore is how to enable a notion of "specializing" within the Smith skills. It isn't as simple as adjusting "batch" quantities like we did with alchemy, or costs to make things like we did with spells, at least not without an explosion of table columns. On top of that we would really like there to be more that a smith does during play than just adjust armor. It's not a very "live action" part of our system, and we would love for it to be more so. if you have notions, please let us know

And again, Rules and Logistics, thank you
chaoswolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With all of that said, one area where we would still like to explore is how to enable a notion of "specializing" within the Smith skills. It isn't as simple as adjusting "batch" quantities like we did with alchemy, or costs to make things like we did with spells, at least not without an explosion of table columns. On top of that we would really like there to be more that a smith does during play than just adjust armor. It's not a very "live action" part of our system, and we would love for it to be more so. if you have notions, please let us know.

Send suggestions to rules@legacieslarp.org?
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think John has ever checked that email address - probably the best way is to grab any of the rules refs or me at event or post on the forum
Jaminshick

Rules - Rules
Plot - Plot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always down to talk rules. Especially theory crafting new rules things.
wytenyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent some idears to: rules@legacieslarp.org

Is there a better address i should send them to?
kcarskadon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page 35 the rulebook states that launched weapons have a base damage of 30.

On page 97, however, in the dark grey box titled "What is base damage" the book says that launched weapon base damage is 20.
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you. The grey box is wrong - I missed that launched weapons were referenced there when we changed the damage. The correct value is 30

© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index
terms of useForum/Website Policies
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
terms of useSearch