Logistics AnnouncementNew Character Card View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
Name: login to view

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: New Character Card Reply with quote

Coinciding with the new rules I re-did the character card (and the magic item tags will be redone as well - December was pretty busy). During the last release, when I added the automatic generation of the back of the character card I had a chat with Ray and Anna about why did it make sense to list the number of wounding blows a person had in practice twice. That set me down the course of building a new layout for the cards, and you can see the outcome at the link above (for the dastardly "Sample Card", scourge of Drake's Prairie)

I tried to cluster like abilities together, to expendable use offensive abilities will be together, expendable defensive abilities (including reflect) will be together, etc. There is no longer a "front of card" or "back of card". The sample only takes up one page, but a different build might have stuff on both the front and back. You can write on whatever, so long as you don't alter your character's actual build (i.e. obviously you shouldn't add a bunch of uses of lethal blow). The focus of the new layout is what your character can do, and its yours to use.

One of the downsides of this approach is that it somewhat makes it harder to see how you spent SP, since the SP expenditure is listed in all sorts of places. Ray can print you the old character card if you just want a better view of how you spent your SP, though will only do so at request (we aren't going to kill more trees printing both cards all the time)

On the sample card lores are just listed in a box (like they are now). They will eventually be individual items with usage boxes, same as any other ability, but yet again the original architect of the logistics database made a headache for me. At the moment lores don't get listed individually. They are all just one giant text blob, and they haven't been consistently seperated from each other. For example, *most* characters have each lores seperated by commas, but then some character might have the lore "army infintry, cavalry, and special services officers" and if I just looked for commas I'd accidentally see that one lore as three (also, at least two characters used ; to seperate lores, so they would end up with just one giant lore). Over the next forever Ray will be slowly moving characters from the old way of storing lores to one where each lore is its own item, because quote "Ray thrives on tedium". Some cards may have the checkboxes right off the bat next month, and some of you will be waiting months. I suspect this isn't the end of the world

Last edited by Josh on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Plazz

Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beautiful.
KawasakiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. I love grouping skills; always bugged me when learning a new skill and it would be on the end of the list far away from its sibling skills... Sad

Thing I noticed: Under Vala Abilities, "Schoo Specialization" missing an L.
wildream

World - World/Character Ref
Immersion - Immersion Ref

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KawasakiNinja wrote:
Thing I noticed: Under Vala Abilities, "Schoo Specialization" missing an L.

I vote to keep schoo specialization.
TheHexV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lores though. Totally op plz nerf.

Seriously though, that looks lovely!
wytenyte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for catching "schoo" - it should be fixed in the copy of the DB Ray has. I produced it off an old version (where old at this point can be a couple day difference)
Kiti

Rules - Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spell list still says "Sickness" rather than "Wither"
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - couldn't change it until after this previous event, since it would have changed it for all cards Ray printed as well. Same goes for the SP values of a number of skills. Since they all draw out of the same table values, changing it for the new card would have changed it for the old card. However the benefit is, now that event is over, I only have a single place to change those things and it is changed everywhere they are used (magic items, the character card, etc.)
James

Head of Plot - Head of Plot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the essay that was submitted for "Lore: John's Rewrite Schedule"

Looks nice. I look forward to not using mine for 6 months while scribbling all over yours.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - HPL

© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index
terms of useForum/Website Policies
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
terms of useSearch