Rules AnnouncementSpring 2017 Preview 1 (Rulebook & Tradein Sheet) View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
Name: login to view

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Spring 2017 Preview 1 (Rulebook & Tradein Sheet) Reply with quote

Below are the links to a preview of the Spring 2017 rulebook. It will go into effect for APRIL event, so for March please continue playing under the current rulebook, and please refrain from submitting updates to your character based on the Spring rulebook changes until after the March event.

The changelist is quite large, so rather than post it here, there is a link to a PDF version below. The zip file with the MS word version of the rulebook also contains the changelist. There are still a couple of things the rules team is hammering out (like how to handle venom and the triple tap spells), so there will still be a couple mechanical changes that will squeak in before the final version of the rulebook is released. I'll call any of those changes out explicitly when I post the final rulebook. A couple of the rituals do not have their symbols and incants yet - they should be added likely next weekend.

I suspect there are a lot of mistakes floating around the rulebook. We went through *several* iterations of it over the past several months, and I'm sure vestigial remnants of those iterations still exist, as do original mechanics that should be changed (I'm betting a couple now obsolete terms are still floating around in example boxes and so forth). I also have not thoroughly tested the trade in sheet, so I would be surprised if it is free of mistakes.

Please post mistakes you find in this thread. Please post questions about the actual rules changes in threads dedicated to that topic on the rules forum.

Links

The PDF version of the change list

The PDF version of the rulebook

The Word Doc version of the rulebook

Item Trade In Excel sheet
James

Head of Plot - Head of Plot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Item Trade In and Out are fairly broken. I started making a list of specifics, but it got cumbersome, so here are summarized errors:

Trade In: Personal enchantments - references wrong cells, calculates as if you have 1 fewer of ritual

Trade In: Once only item enchants (armor, permanence, etc) - they don't add vala

Trade In: Armor and +Dmg appear to have the wrong vala amount in the formula, as it should be 150 for a Create Greater

Trade Out: No vala calculates for any enchantment field

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - HPL
Crocodile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the Vala Storm ability in Arcanist, it doesn't list Spell Blocking as a means of avoiding damage, but the Spell Blocking skill does.

Page 79 has a bunch of boxes over lapping.
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trade In: Personal enchantments - references wrong cells, calculates as if you have 1 fewer of ritual

Do you mean enchantments on characters? That seems to work ok for me

Quote:
Once only item enchants (armor, permanence, etc) - they don't add vala

crap - 6 of them did, but the bottom six didn't (or at least, that's what I was able to reproduce - and I caught the problem with them as well)

Quote:
Trade In: Armor and +Dmg appear to have the wrong vala amount in the formula, as it should be 150 for a Create Greater

Well sort of - the typo is that it should be 150 for the bonus armor. For the most part its not tied to the old vala costs, but the new, so +5 weapon damage now takes a ritual that costs 100 vala, so I give you 100 vala for it. +50 armor is gone, but +25 is the new replacement, and at one point we had that cost at 200. Its now 150 and there's where I messed up

Anyway, there is now an updated version at the link above that should fix most of the problems so far
James

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I mean enchantments on characters. Hmm.

Why would you trade in based on new value rather than old? Should you not get credit for the actual vala put into the thing?

Master Photius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did this last time James, your trade in relects the new value of cost instead of the old, because of this I am losing about 1k vala in the transfer. the only thing you are getting straight vala for vala across the board is charm, skill stores, old body enchantments and permanence.

anyways, some things I noted,

pg 36, veteran soldier references create greater magic item ritual for calculating armor that applies to getting the skill perk(should now reference fortify/greater fortify armor)

pg 38, under destroy skill at the end it says Annihilate when referring to the destroying magic items

pg 111 under "performing rituals" right at the end is says
Quote:
If the Ritual Scroll is absent at the end of the Ritual (destroyed, stolen, etc.), or any of the other required criteria are not met, then the character draws from a Failure Chance Bag instead of a normal Chance bag.

I dont think this wording is saying the right message as you can have things missing(besides scroll, that one is important!) and not being pulling from the 9black 1 white that is the fail bag.

pg 112 Second line in the water section of optional ritual components it says.
Quote:
All material components must be present and visible with both the Phys Rep and Item tag laid out; leaving out one material component is the same as leaving all of them out.

This feels highly inaccurate as later in the same section it goes to explain the various components and consequences for having none, some or all.

"Kobold with mace is not kobold, It is Lugo! Dont hit!"
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This feels highly inaccurate as later in the same section it goes to explain the various components and consequences for having none, some or all

Yes - that should go. Good catch on the other stuff.

As for the vala costs - the intent is to allow you to make "roughly" the same item, though adjusted for the new system. If I have 6 spell strike deaths in an item, I should be able to make a new item with 6 (though since we are dropping the number of spell effects from 3 per to 2 per, if you had 6 spell effect deaths, you could expect to be able to make an item with 4 given that adjustment). This isn't perfect, and because of the level changes for some of the spells, for those spells you may get less or more depending on whether they went up or down levels. Needing to buy Bolster numinance for items over a certain size will mean you can't make perfect copies even if we had gotten every other number perfect, and so on. But the logic was "how much does it cost to do this in the new system"

That seems equitable, and is generally how the rest of the world works - when I bought my xbox one it was $400. Assuming its still under warranty (likely isn't), if it broke and they gave me a new one, I couldn't be like "Woe guys, I bought that for $400 and its now $250 - give me $150 too". Certainly not a perfect metaphor
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posted an additional bugfix version of the spreadsheet. You ONLY need to grab this new version if you are trading out 6 or 7 items (the bug was in the last two magic items)
James

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a "zip file is invalid" error with the new upload

KawasakiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Photius wrote:
They did this last time James, your trade in relects the new value of cost instead of the old, because of this I am losing about 1k vala in the transfer. the only thing you are getting straight vala for vala across the board is charm, skill stores, old body enchantments and permanence

I thought it was trade in at old values? At least that was what I thought I heard on Friday...
Dan H

Plot - Plot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winrar is saying the file is corrupt.

Quote:
! \tradeinsheet-preview1.zip: The archive is corrupt
! \tradeinsheet-preview1.zip: The archive is corrupt
! \tradeinsheet-preview1.zip: CRC failed in lastname, firstname - character.xlsx. The file is corrupt

These ritual symbols brought to you by: Endrani Ritual Services, "Die Happy" Smile

"I'm gonna go ahead and resist charm on that one.. " .. .. Plazz
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, can you send me the sheet you are having trouble (josh@legacieslarp.org) with so I can see what's going on.
James

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is Open Office vs. Excel. In any case I fixed it for my own use, so no worries. I can still send if you'd like.

Caldwyne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably is an Open Office vs Excel issue, because I'm having the same problem as James, I think. All personal enchantments are automatically set as 1, and when I move them to 0 it gives me negative Vala values, which then messes up the values for "Trade Out for Magic Item Creation."
If I leave the personal enchantment values set as 1 the file treats it as 0 for calculation purposes.

Also Spirit Link for Magic Item Trade Out doesn't seem to add to the vala total.

© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index
terms of useForum/Website Policies
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
terms of useSearch