Other Realms
Home > Forum Index > Game Setting Discussions > Other Realms

KawasakiNinja
Rules
I'm curious what other realms or planes of existence we have in Legacies. Like, actual places we've either visited or heard reliable information about. I made up a list of what I can remember, but what have I missed (if any)?

Faery
-This is where the Fae live.

Dream Realm
-Learned about this during Raven's last plot. Was it called Dreamlands or Dream Realm or something else?

Nightmare Realm
-Had a game at Delezenne where most characters were transported there, and nightmare creatures turned into piles of red dust after they were defeated... We left a portal open at end of event; hope the locals cleaned that up! Also, I don't remember exactly what we called the place, I just remember it as the Nightmare Realm...

Elemental Planes
-Place that elementals live; we had portals to them in the past.

Lands of the Dead
-Basically where spirits are when they leave the body and we're talking to them with Medium skill? Old players guide said this:
"There is a belief that spirits who do not remain near their bodies move on to another realm. This place is known as the Lands of the Dead. It is said to be a place of darkness, and of peace. A place where a person’s spirit reflects on the acts it committed in life. The Lands of the Dead are purported to be a mid-way point between the living world and the Lands of the Sundered.
It is possible to reach across the veil and communicate with spirits walking the Lands of the Dead. Legend says that the Lands of the Dead are the domain of the god Nul, Lord of Death and Rebirth. Spirits may be called back from the Lands of the Dead, which is the primary difference with the Lands of the Sundered."
-That writeup and how spirits & medium is handled in game makes me think of it more as a state of being rather than a place, much like Twilight in the new World of Darkness settings.

Lands of the Sundered
-Where you go for a year and a bit after Sundering, still in that reincarnate window.

The Abyss
-Theoretical place demons have something to do with; little known, but it's been talked about enough in Legacies to be on the list I think.

One common fantasy realm is the Astral Realm, but I don't recall any talk of it in Legacies. Does the Astral Realm exist in Legacies? Is the Astral Realm just another word for or expression of the Lands of the Dead?

Anyway, what did I miss?
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Reply with quote  Back to top

Djonin
Rules Plot
The astral realm is the realm of thought, and will. I've used astral realm lores to help me before heading into the dream realm, so it's safe to say the astral realm encapsulates realms such as dream and nightmare. The Aboriginal Dreamtime that Djonin follows is likely also located there.
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:55 pm

KawasakiNinja
Rules
It's also arguable that the realm of dreams and realm of nightmares are part of (or at least associated with) Faery.
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Djonin
Rules Plot
Seeing as how faerie is shaped by belief much like the Astral plane, this wouldn't be surprising.
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 pm

tabrumj
I see that it is time for Peregrine to teach Planar Cosmology. This appears to be accurateish from an IT standpoint.
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

James
Rules
tabrumj wrote:
This appears to be accurateish from an IT standpoint.

Information Technology? So you're saying Peregrine is Fortnight's IT department. Good to know. Anytime something isn't working right I will refer all questions to you. Twisted Evil
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:37 am

Josh
Web Master
The cosmology and its interpretations are specifically and intentionally not definitively described - are any of those realms truly distinct from the Fae realm, or are they just different topologies of the same place (as mentioned by Daniel, a whole lot of in game cultures think Faery and the realm of dreams/nightmares are not different things)? Is there really lands of the dead, or do spirits eventually whither away after a couple years? We do have mapped out what some of the cultures think of the different realms, but as we talk about this I want to make sure that people understand that those are *beliefs* and not canon facts

Except for where the Demons are from. There is a canon fact there, but it isn't widely known - I'm willing to validate it in game if someone ever did the (copious) leg work to discover it (a lot more than "Lore: where are demons from"). We have laid out clues in previous plots, but various continuity between the characters receiving the distinct clues hasn't put them together yet
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 am

tabrumj
James wrote:
tabrumj wrote:
This appears to be accurateish from an IT standpoint.

Information Technology? So you're saying Peregrine is Fortnight's IT department. Good to know. Anytime something isn't working right I will refer all questions to you. Twisted Evil

I meant IG, but that seem to have been unintentionally accurate.
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Zakari
Head of Safety
Josh wrote:
We do have mapped out what some of the cultures think of the different realms, but as we talk about this I want to make sure that people understand that those are *beliefs* and not canon facts

Just to be clear, is there a hidden OOG truth to these things but they are impossible to know IG or is everybody, Plot included, just supposed to wing it with what they "believe" is true?

I don't believe in fairies.
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

Josh
Web Master
Anna and I have sketched out what we think it should be, but honestly we have always been hesitant to give a concrete "this is the absolute shape of things" to plot given that we do not want that coming into game (and for some things we are entirely happy with them remaining a theological mystery even in our own minds - we have specifically not decided what happens to the spirits of undead for example because we want the "truth" to be that it isn't known for certain). We do have an advantage in that most all of these places are not fixed/concrete, so if a plot team goes one way with a place, and a different plot team goes another such that the place seems "inconsistent" that isn't actually a flaw

The two exceptions - the mortal realm (i.e. where you live) and whatever you want to call the realm of demons. Those are both concrete, and we have quite a bit of understanding of them. I'd be a little wary of a plot team doing too much with the realm of demons, but if they had a really good idea that we were ok with I'd spell it out to the team
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 am

tabrumj
The owners are always willing to talk to the HoP about stuff they need to know for a plotline. I had a number of long conversations with Josh about the Sundered Lands during the start of my last run on plot. But most of what I was given fell into the category of guidelines rather then definite items.
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm

• Page 1 of 1
  •   
Expand Menu Rulebook Game Setting Character Management Forum Log InRegister
close dialog Login

Forgot User ID or Password?

close dialog Register

By registering users agree to abide by this website's Terms of Use

close dialog Character Management

All requests to create a new character or make changes to existing characters is handled by emailing Logistics. When creating a new character or making significant changes to an existing character players should use the Character card maker. For more minor changes players may just describe the change that they wish to make, for example "I wish to spend 200 favor to buy Skill points, and use those skill points to buy 3 purchases of the Skill Reserve". The email should contain the player's name, and if it is an update to an existing character, the character name as it appears on the character card - Logistics may not be aware of which character a nick name goes to.

Players should also email Logistics with Character Production (Items the character is making with Skills such as Smith, Alchemist, or Spell Wright) for the upcoming month so that Logistics is able to make the Item Tags in advance. For example "I wish to use my 50 Smith production to make a standard crafted 1 handed weapon".

Production and Character Updates MUST be submitted no later than the Friday prior to the event in order to provide Logistics sufficient time to complete the request prior to event, unless Logistics has specifically announced a different policy for a specific event (for example, if events are only 2 weeks apart Logistics often allows submissions into the week of event).
close dialog Upcoming Events