Lantern
Home > Forum Index > Immersion committee > Lantern

Dan H
Saw this at walgreens, was wondering if anyone has used it before. I was thinking of picking one up to see how well it worked.

http://www.asseenontv.com/olde-brooklyn-lantern/detail.php?p=375224&v=outdoor#tabs
Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Reply with quote  Back to top

Meg
Owner
I imagine that the glass would have to be covered with Orange Fabric or painted to simulate natural lighting and not blind others; but, that should work quite well.
Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Dan H
it has a dimmer switch
Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Meg
Owner
I'd still cover it just because led lights are glaring and the conveyance of ambient flame light is important, imo.
Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:05 pm

EtherDragon
That is one of the weaknesses of a (real) oil lantern too. The actual flame is bright enough to glare in the eyes - which is why we smart humans invented lantern hoods. =)
Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 pm

chlorinesea
Maybe if you put orange paint and frosted the glass or something? It looks painfully bright.

(on that topic, Bartell's has little fake flame-flicker plastic lanterns that are brighter than tealights for like $1.50 right now. They're pretty weird but I bought one and put it in Boots's lantern and it's awesome.)
Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Kim
I have one of these. it does still need to be painted. also the dimmer switch broke right away. other than that it is nice.
Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:10 am

Lea
I'm sorry, but I am rather against painting/frosting my lantern. My night vision is extremely bad and I've found that white light helps me more. And I would really hate to step off a cliff because my lantern puts out less light than an actually flame lantern.
Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 pm

EtherDragon
I bought a couple of these lanterns to donate to Immursion. They run on two D batteries and with the dimmer low, they run for hours and hours.
Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:41 pm

chlorinesea
The white/blue lanterns are basically the equivalent of those people with those awful blue headlights or dudes who drive around with their high beams on all the time. Sad Sure it helps them see better but it hurts everyone else's eyes.

Flameless candle lantern with timer
LED flickering lantern with timer
A bunch of "flickering" lanterns
This one makes sounds, haha
A couple of these inside a colored and frosted lantern would probably produce a nice bright diffuse light!

It took me a couple rounds of Google searching before I got the correct keywords (try "battery-powered flickering lantern" without quotes) but it turned up a ton of stuff! I agree that a LOT of the lights used don't produce as much light as real candles/an effectively unusable amount of light, but eye-searing blue lights probably aren't the right answer. Maybe some of those links will help? Very Happy
Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Raven Lunatic
Coincidentally, I won one of these lanterns at my family's traditional christmas predatory dice game (after a fierce battle with my brother for it). Mine is bright silver, though, so I will have to mod it, and will probably hood the back of it. I will bring it to next game. It looks pretty good.

Kim sells a table lamp very similar to the one in the second link in the post above this one at Badger's Den. I have one for my tent in the summer time and it works quite well.
Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:03 pm

jay
Chris wrote:
These are IG lanterns. Lights needed for safety reasons may be as non-period as necessary.

In other words, Kerry, please frost or paint your lantern, and carry around a small flashlight in addition. (This is what I try to do as well.) Doing so means that the oh-god-bright light is ONLY used when necessary. A flashlight (much as people bitch about them) is also directional, and as long as you aren't waving it around like a drunken cowboy, you can use it to see where you're stepping without blinding EVERYONE in a 60 foot radius.

PS - I frosted the tavern lights last week. Y'all can thank me with chocolate.
Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:40 pm

chlorinesea
Quote:

Noted.
Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Dan H
chlorinesea wrote:
Quote:

Noted.

You may just survive Jay on plot. Cool I'm hoping I do Rolling Eyes Love ya Jay Twisted Evil
Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 pm

jay
And not that knock-off American "chocolate" candybar stuff neither. Very Happy Very Happy

Dan, you're lucky to survive me at all. Very Happy
Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 pm

• Page 1 of 2
  • Goto page 1, 2  Next
  •   
Expand Menu Rulebook Game Setting Character Management Forum Log InRegister
close dialog Login

Forgot User ID or Password?

close dialog Register

By registering users agree to abide by this website's Terms of Use

close dialog Character Management

All requests to create a new character or make changes to existing characters is handled by emailing Logistics. When creating a new character or making significant changes to an existing character players should use the Character card maker. For more minor changes players may just describe the change that they wish to make, for example "I wish to spend 200 favor to buy Skill points, and use those skill points to buy 3 purchases of the Skill Reserve". The email should contain the player's name, and if it is an update to an existing character, the character name as it appears on the character card - Logistics may not be aware of which character a nick name goes to.

Players should also email Logistics with Character Production (Items the character is making with Skills such as Smith, Alchemist, or Spell Wright) for the upcoming month so that Logistics is able to make the Item Tags in advance. For example "I wish to use my 50 Smith production to make a standard crafted 1 handed weapon".

Production and Character Updates MUST be submitted no later than the Friday prior to the event in order to provide Logistics sufficient time to complete the request prior to event, unless Logistics has specifically announced a different policy for a specific event (for example, if events are only 2 weeks apart Logistics often allows submissions into the week of event).
close dialog Upcoming Events

Fri Jun 12 2020 to Sun Jun 14 2020

Fri Jul 24 2020 to Sun Jul 26 2020

Fri Aug 28 2020 to Sun Aug 30 2020