Baronial thingy. View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harley Allen
Name: login to view

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Baronial thingy. Reply with quote

I had an idea that i had talk over with a few others about making a kind of Baronial 'Cabin' (not one of the cabins tho) for the Baronial Guard players.
Where and what i wanted to do calls for making walls like the ones plot uses. so i was wondering where Immersion got those (i cant spell what they are made of so i wont even try) sheets that size.
jay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge-ass canvas sheets can be gotten at any hardware store, just ask for painters' drop cloths. We then painted the faux-stone and faux-wood finishes by hand. It's not too hard, but for Heaven's sake do it outside. (Fumes! Dear Lord, the fumes!) Smile

There are andirondacks scattered throughout Delezene, if you grabbed one of them you'd only need to create one wall.

I am not afraid of the dark, for I am a light. The dark is afraid of me.
Harley Allen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any thoughts on what kind of paint is best? i mean i have black and brown spray paints. and i figure for stone, the black would work fine. lol. but i wouldnt have teh know how to say how it would react to weather.

And also do you know how it does for keeping heat? I dont think it'll be toasty or anything, just asking.
jay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used indoor latex paint. I think spray paint would run the chance of flaking off, but I could be wrong. You'll need about 3x as much paint as you think you will, because the canvas soaks it up quickly.

Andirondaks and heat: One layer is plenty in the summer, it cuts the wind and keeps the bugs out (mostly), and traps enough body heat at night, but still lets fresh air in.

In the winter, you want to hang up two layers, with about a half a foot of air between them - basically hang one canvas from the outside of the door frame, and one from the inside, and make sure there's plenty of overlap at the sides. Add some fake fur or heavy wool up on the walls to chink any drafts, and it's... not warm, but not freezing either. Run a propane heater or light an oil lamp for an hour or two, and it will get quite comfortable. (NEVER leave either lit while you are sleeping!)

I am not afraid of the dark, for I am a light. The dark is afraid of me.
Allen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or while there's no one there. Any source of open flame needs to be attend at site.

/psa
LondonPNW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are too lazy/don't have enough time to paint a large canvas sheet, they apparently sell "stone wall" sheets at Halloween stores that look pretty good. They run about $17.
Meg

Owner - Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not set up the aiderondacks at Delezene before. I can however tell you from personal experience with those suckers at other sites that you will want to go for the drop cloths as opposed to the thin sheets as the colder weather approaches.

The reason it is important to use drop cloth/canvas is largely because of the weight and sturdiness. Staple guns are best used in this case (boyscout camps do not prohibit their use. But you do need to remove the staples every now and then. Granted, what is permitted at one bsa site may not be acceptable at Delezenne, so it's important to find out.), because drop cloth has heavier weight as a whole.

The trick is setting the outside layer up, then the insider layer up in a way that it traps the heat inside. And that way the only cloth that really gets moved is the outer one.

Fake fur fabric helps immensely in keeping things warm. Portable heaters also help; but, as always, do not leave them running when no one is there. The ones I've stayed in up at Brinkley have fire pits in which fire usually goes, and in which people take turn watching the fires.

Also - what helps with immersion is deco inside too. Keeping oog things tucked underneath bunks that may be located there, or set things up in a way so that oog things are covered can really help enhance the sense of immersion at a baronial watch of sorts.
LondonPNW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, for the winter months I'd be more inclined to just move the Baronial cabin to the loft in the inn. Spring, Summer, and Fall on the other hand, the nice little Guard Hut could be fun.
Harley Allen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought the same Ben, but i think the IG feel of it being set up and being used would add alot. Even if no one slept in it and we 'lock' it at night.
But i was also thinking that it could be used every IG thing the guard needs. From storing the extra armor and weapons fisher colected, to paper work, maps, holding people, questioning people, and anything else.

Sleeping there wouldnt be a big deal just because we wouldnt have to.
Also i was thinking about just buying one of those four leg canopy (20x20), and buying the wall for it. and setting it up where ever we want. At miller we could add it to the front of a cabin and make it an office type space. At delezene it would act as a moble office and such. Idk, i have a lot of planning to do, and cost matters so im looking in to that as well.

i would like to know if ppl think it would be a cool addiction ingame too. i mean, i dont want to buy a bunch and ppl be like "thats dumb" lol.
Jessie

Logistics - Logistics
World - World/Character Ref

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray pain actually soaks in very effectively to fabric, and I have seen spray painted T-shirts that hold up very well. I don't know if that property will be different for canvas, but from what I have seen, it is light enough that it doesn't crack and flake from being folded and rolled.

"you ARE Diana" - Raymond

© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index
terms of useForum/Website Policies
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
terms of useSearch