The Subtellerium
Home > Forum Index > Game Setting Discussions > The Subtellerium

Faenaria
So I've been doing some research and I had a question
I found plenty of info using the search function on the Tael'Granis, but one thing I can't find is the rough location of the Subtellerium - mainly to see how far one would travel if they left there and came to Fortnight and what sort of places they would travel through. Everything I've read says "underground" and I can't even find where the original city of Atlantashar was located when they lived above ground to figure out a reference point of "where did they start from".

Where is the Subtellerium?
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 am

Reply with quote  Back to top

Josh
Web Master
Quote:
original city of Atlantashar

Not their original city, or under ground - it was a mythical Krecian city of antiquity that the Taelgranis claim was one of their first surface establishments (though Krete is pretty far from any Taelgranis towns in the Subtellerium), a claim at odds with a number of other peoples who claim it was theirs (clearly the wonders attributed could only be dverg in origin. Obviously the felinae needed a new capital after their civilization fell. It was the original home of the Merfolk, and they turned themselves and their city fishy to hide it from a threat, then built a maelstrom on top to keep people away). Conveniently, Atlantashar isn't around anymore to confirm anyone's claims

The description of the taelgranis in the just released rulebook has a bit more detail. The habitated towns of the Subtellerium are mostly under the northern lands and alba. Elysium was their original city, though they now have more, however the subtellerium is shrinking (not collapsing - disappearing. Maybe it wasn't geological in nature...), and taelgranis towns and outposts are disappearing with it. This is creating a diaspora on the surface, with Alba deciding Warwick is a good place to stick them
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 am

wytenyte
Rules
Fenian can tell you where the closest Tael'Granis City to Fortnight is ... but he won't until after your character enters play.

Even that is a tightly held secret.
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Jessie
Logistics World
Josh wrote:
The description of the taelgranis in the just released rulebook has a bit more detail.

Josh, what are you talking about? Is there a new book somewhere? And if so why is it not overriding the 2011 proto-PG?
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Renloth
Safety World
Edit: I am apparently bad at reading.

Last edited by Renloth on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 pm

wildream
World
Unless I'm missing something, the write up for Taelgranis on page 20-21 in the winter 2018 rulebook is identical to the write up for Taelgranis on page 20 of the Spring 2017 rulebook.
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Josh
Web Master
Quote:
Josh, what are you talking about? Is there a new book somewhere? And if so why is it not overriding the 2011 proto-PG?

My mistake - Anna mostly cleaned up the rulebook, rather than alter it. As for why it was contradicted, because I apparently missed that Chris apparently just decided to publish that bullshit, contrary to both the actual in play history and what we talked about. The rulebook, back to 2014, reference Elysian. The PG, linked to https://www.legacieslarp.org/gamemenu/books.php has no reference to Atlantashar

We did have a notion for Atlantashar, as the equivalent of Atlantis - a semi-mythical (though in Legacies actually existing at one point) lost city state. I don't know how the wires got crossed, but the real point was for it to not be owned by any culture of present day, and to make elements of it things that could slowly be seeded into play such that they didn't "belong" to any particular clique of the PCs
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 pm

markofshame
Logistics Head of Safety
wytenyte wrote:
Fenian can tell you where the closest Tael'Granis City to Fortnight is ... but he won't until after your character enters play.

Even that is a tightly held secret.

It would appear that Stephanie is asking that info OOG. Possibly to build a character's backstory. While you can hold information as tightly as you want in-game, there is really no reason to withhold game world information such as that OOG. If you have that information and someone asks you out of game you should share it freely.
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 pm

wytenyte
Rules
Of course Faye can ask me (Martin) OOG, but Fenian IG will be more cautious about what he reveals.
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 pm

KawasakiNinja
Rules
Are previous PGs cannon or should they be ignored? I have the 2004 & the 2010/2011 one.
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Josh
Web Master
Quote:
Are previous PGs cannon or should they be ignored? I have the 2004 & the 2010/2011 one.

Yes - they generally should, but Atlantashar is NOT in the 2011 PG as I pointed out. It is in the 2004 one, along with Phookik, fucking Foe Hammer, and a wealth of other nonsense that fairly obviously render it irrelevant
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 am

Faenaria
I'm just going off a bunch of info I found via searching the forums and reading the game books
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

Zakari
Head of Safety
It seems to me that just about everyone missed the retcon. I don't recall seeing this change mentioned anywhere, but since there doesn't seem to be an official decent writeup on the Taelgranis yet (or at least not one that has been published) I'm not exactly surprised that people have been going off tribal knowledge and assumed New Atlantishar was still a thing.
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:22 pm

KawasakiNinja
Rules
Oh ok, so I was looking at the 2010 PG which did still have New Atlanashar. The 2011 preview the Taelgranis were cut entirely so I defaulted to looking at 2010 as the last complete entry and complete PG I've seen. Is there a more updated PG, or is the rulebook the primary source of setting now?
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Josh
Web Master
Ping Anna for updates

Quote:
It seems to me that just about everyone missed the retcon. I don't recall seeing this change mentioned anywhere, but since there doesn't seem to be an official decent writeup on the Taelgranis yet (or at least not one that has been published) I'm not exactly surprised that people have been going off tribal knowledge and assumed New Atlantishar was still a thing.

As you are all getting super wounded about our dastardly retconning I'd like you all to consider that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU POINTED OUT THAT THE RULEBOOK, FOR YEARS, HAD THE ORIGINAL NAME. Seriously, its two paragraphs, and apparently none of the established players read it and thought "hey, why is that different from this ancient players guide"

Also, spoiler, I have been retconning the hell out of Legacies, because a ton of the content was either absolute nonsense (basically the entirety of the Ebon, Foehammer, the multitude of Felinae races, the fact that Scarborough was Farwatch was Yorkshire was York the capital of bloody Imajicka, etc.), lazy as hell (the pantheon), or contradictory (Queen Dolosus of Doomstadt was sundered - and then she was queen again because Chris forgot that happened and I had to do a ton of hand waiving to address that - Atlantashar has the same issue)
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 pm

• Page 1 of 2
  • Goto page 1, 2  Next
  •   
Expand Menu Rulebook Game Setting Character Management Forum Log InRegister
close dialog Login

Forgot User ID or Password?

close dialog Register

By registering users agree to abide by this website's Terms of Use

close dialog Character Management

All requests to create a new character or make changes to existing characters is handled by emailing Logistics. When creating a new character or making significant changes to an existing character players should use the Character card maker. For more minor changes players may just describe the change that they wish to make, for example "I wish to spend 200 favor to buy Skill points, and use those skill points to buy 3 purchases of the Skill Reserve". The email should contain the player's name, and if it is an update to an existing character, the character name as it appears on the character card - Logistics may not be aware of which character a nick name goes to.

Players should also email Logistics with Character Production (Items the character is making with Skills such as Smith, Alchemist, or Spell Wright) for the upcoming month so that Logistics is able to make the Item Tags in advance. For example "I wish to use my 50 Smith production to make a standard crafted 1 handed weapon".

Production and Character Updates MUST be submitted no later than the Friday prior to the event in order to provide Logistics sufficient time to complete the request prior to event, unless Logistics has specifically announced a different policy for a specific event (for example, if events are only 2 weeks apart Logistics often allows submissions into the week of event).
close dialog Upcoming Events