Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Owner AnnouncementDecember Four Day Event Announcement View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cosmos Riot
Name: login to view



Owner - Owner
Head of Logistics - Head of Logistics
Plot - Plot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: December Four Day Event Announcement Reply with quote

This was announced at Closing but like we promised we are putting it up here again as a reminder and if anyone has any questions/observations that we can address we will do our best without giving anything away.

For December event this year, Plot is setting a one-time only rule that players can choose only one character to play. This is due to In Game Plot circumstances that will be significantly more fun if everyone is limited to one character and will keep Plot from having to pull their hair out. We understand that initially folks may be concerned about resource management over a four day event but that has been taken into heavy consideration during all of our planning. We are announcing this way ahead of time because we want to avoid players making In Game plans for both their characters and give everyone more than enough time to choose which character they want to play.

Please pass the word around for anyone who had to leave event before Closing or if they did not attend October event. Also place any questions, comments, or conspiracy theories on here, we'll try to address them as best we can without giving the surprise away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Renloth
Name: login to view



Safety - Safety
World - World/Character Ref
Head of Immersion - Head Immersion Ref

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have concerns that are more personal/we don't want to bring up in a public forum, to whom should we speak?
_________________
"A good plan, violently executed now, is far better than a perfect plan executed an indeterminate time in the future."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cosmos Riot
Name: login to view



Owner - Owner
Head of Logistics - Head of Logistics
Plot - Plot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renloth wrote:
If we have concerns that are more personal/we don't want to bring up in a public forum, to whom should we speak?


Of course, if you have any concerns but don't want to place them here you may simply email Plot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wytenyte
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It sounds very interesting, and I wholeheartedly support a long event.

2) Many production characters do not have heavy cards and cannot do much in a long event, yet more combat focussed characters depend on them for supplies.

How will it be taken into account that many players have plans for the the production from two characters, and that the PCs that are most likely to be comfortable at a long event, are likely to be depending on production from the characters that are least likely to attend?

3) Many novice characters can make a difference over a short time span, but have trouble keeping up with the veterans over a long period. This is naturally balanced by the rules which allow 2 characters to benefit from XP if one of them is under 150 points. Even without bonus blanket, two low-endurance characters can normally be played instead of one her endurance character.

Is there a mechanism in place to allow novice pcs (and other low endurance types) to get some extra endurance to keep up with the veterans?
_________________
You can't fail until you quit ... and thats not looking likely any time soon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh
Name: login to view



Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plot has already talked with Anna and I about the plans, and we have agreed to them. I realize as someone who doesn't play two characters that I do not have the same perspective as those that do. However I would like to put out some considerations before people get too concerned:

1. This is a ONE TIME thing. This isn't a change in policy, but rather a specific In Game justified event where some characters leaving an other characters arriving doesn't make a ton of sense.

2. The rationale behind the IG scenario was specifically engineered to address concerns about about ability exhaustion. The orchestration for the event is designed to keep characters from exhausting their abilities early in the game, and I believe their plans will effectively prevent that in the vast majority of cases. I also suspect that their plans will become less opaque as more events in game are sussed out, so that players will be able to make informed decisions

3. Plot's general plan is something that I have a fairly strong intrinsic bias against - they had an uphill ordeal getting me on board, and what won me over was the amount of planning they are putting in to make sure characters across the ability spectrum will be engaging across the span of the event. I understand the concerns in this space, but again, Plot's rationale for one character is not to exaccerbate these concerns, but address them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tabrumj
Name: login to view



Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wytenyte wrote:


3) Many novice characters can make a difference over a short time span, but have trouble keeping up with the veterans over a long period. This is naturally balanced by the rules which allow 2 characters to benefit from XP if one of them is under 150 points. Even without bonus blanket, two low-endurance characters can normally be played instead of one her endurance character.

Is there a mechanism in place to allow novice pcs (and other low endurance types) to get some extra endurance to keep up with the veterans?


Specifically regarding new players I have two suggestions.

1. If they truly do run out of resources, despite everything plot has planned, they should consider NPCing.

2. We might want to consider a one time exception for the under 150 SP crowd to allow them to apply blanket to both characters even though they are playing just one. It seems somewhat more fair to them and would help alleviate the sting of only having single PC's resources.
_________________
Jeff Tabrum
"Raven, the next time you have a crazy idea that just might work... I am running in the oposite direction. Quickly."
Peregrine, Shortly after the mana Storm ritual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
tabrumj
Name: login to view



Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this very exciting and am immensely looking forward to whatever plot has planned. Of course I don't really expect the other players to allow me to play any character but Peregrine in Fortnight, no matter how much fun Karzain is.
_________________
Jeff Tabrum
"Raven, the next time you have a crazy idea that just might work... I am running in the oposite direction. Quickly."
Peregrine, Shortly after the mana Storm ritual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
wytenyte
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really excited about this too, and I appreciate that it sounds very well planned (as with the rest of Jesse's crew's ideas).

My challenge has more to do with long term planning than with resources at that particular event. As with many other characters, my characters plan their production many months ahead of time. Before deciding which character to bring, I wanted to make sure if there was any plan to compensate or make exceptions for productionists (even small ones) who cannot attend event due to these exceptional rules, but are logically off somewhere else doing their actual production.

For clarity, I am not being greedy, because my production is actually very small, but am voicing a question I heard at least three other players asking at closing ceremony. I am just looking for information to help me choose which character to plan to bring for December.
_________________
You can't fail until you quit ... and thats not looking likely any time soon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meg
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a secondary character that was commissioned. To fulfill her commission she would have to be played Nov and December.

I'd play Sachiko for a four day; but, how will my secondary character fulfill her commissions if she can't be played for eight hours? This is for Yule gifts to be given out at December event.
_________________
Strength in the face of adversity is the foundation of virtue.

Skype: JubieMeg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
wytenyte
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meg, thats exactly what I mean. I know at least three others who are wondering about this besides you and I.

I suspect this is the norm rather than an outlying exception.
_________________
You can't fail until you quit ... and thats not looking likely any time soon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cass
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I - Love - This !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meg
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meg wrote:
I have a secondary character that was commissioned. To fulfill her commission she would have to be played Nov and December.

I'd play Sachiko for a four day; but, how will my secondary character fulfill her commissions if she can't be played for eight hours? This is for Yule gifts to be given out at December event.


I do very much like the idea of one character, mind you. I just want to make sure PC's get their Yule gifts. lol.
_________________
Strength in the face of adversity is the foundation of virtue.

Skype: JubieMeg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TheHexV
Name: login to view




PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm learning how to ration out Joachim's skills, so I am welcoming this challenge to not exhaust his character card (helps that running from danger saves me from using skills, haha).

I was hyped when a four day event was announced, but the hype just keeps growing! I can't wait to see what you guys pull off!
_________________
"We are under attack! They're coming to kill us! We're all going to die!" -- Joachim Duerr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cosmos Riot
Name: login to view



Owner - Owner
Head of Logistics - Head of Logistics
Plot - Plot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wytenyte wrote:
1) It sounds very interesting, and I wholeheartedly support a long event.

2) Many production characters do not have heavy cards and cannot do much in a long event, yet more combat focussed characters depend on them for supplies.

How will it be taken into account that many players have plans for the the production from two characters, and that the PCs that are most likely to be comfortable at a long event, are likely to be depending on production from the characters that are least likely to attend?

3) Many novice characters can make a difference over a short time span, but have trouble keeping up with the veterans over a long period. This is naturally balanced by the rules which allow 2 characters to benefit from XP if one of them is under 150 points. Even without bonus blanket, two low-endurance characters can normally be played instead of one her endurance character.

Is there a mechanism in place to allow novice pcs (and other low endurance types) to get some extra endurance to keep up with the veterans?


2) This December event is going to be a particular challenge for productionists but we do have something special planned for those who rely on it. You will just have to wait until December to find out what that is. If you had In Game plans for your productionist and you choose not to play that character at the four day, then please contact plot and we can give you In Game justifications on why your character could not be there or could not finish whatever you were working on that month. There is plenty of chaos going around that could easily delay the best laid plans.

3) Like was stated in the original post, Plot has taken the limits of individual character cards into heavy consideration when planning the four day event. We know how horrific it could be to suddenly be out of everything half way through event, which is the major draw for playing more than one character, but we will have options for those new to mid-level characters that reach their limits a lot faster than veteran players. Plus, you could always NPC for a time in order to save on resources! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cosmos Riot
Name: login to view



Owner - Owner
Head of Logistics - Head of Logistics
Plot - Plot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabrumj wrote:
wytenyte wrote:


3) Many novice characters can make a difference over a short time span, but have trouble keeping up with the veterans over a long period. This is naturally balanced by the rules which allow 2 characters to benefit from XP if one of them is under 150 points. Even without bonus blanket, two low-endurance characters can normally be played instead of one her endurance character.

Is there a mechanism in place to allow novice pcs (and other low endurance types) to get some extra endurance to keep up with the veterans?


Specifically regarding new players I have two suggestions.

1. If they truly do run out of resources, despite everything plot has planned, they should consider NPCing.

2. We might want to consider a one time exception for the under 150 SP crowd to allow them to apply blanket to both characters even though they are playing just one. It seems somewhat more fair to them and would help alleviate the sting of only having single PC's resources.


1) I second this, Jeff!

2) As much fun as it would be to throw something a little extra to the under 150 SP crowd, we have several mechanisms in place specifically geared to our newer folks. No bonus blanket, unfortunately for our newer players but it will still be an interesting event for them!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next


© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index
terms of useForum/Website Policies
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
terms of useSearch