Logistics AnnouncementTracking uses on Magic Item Tags View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
Name: login to view

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Tracking uses on Magic Item Tags Reply with quote

With the new magic item system, logistics will be printing magic item tags for people as part of the logistics checkin process, and after some debating among ourselves, Anna, Ray and I have decided to print every magic item tag for a character each month (not just changed ones - sorry trees). This means a couple of things:

1. A magic item tag will have a data printed on it - it is valid for the event corresponding to that date (i.e. a tag printed Friday of April event is valid for April event). Don't use tags for events that the tag isn't valid for

2. We are going to print check boxes on the item tag next to expendable abilities (Defend, Protect, Weaponbound spell, Spellbound Spell, Knowledges, etc.). When you use an ability, check it off the tag just as you would check off one of your skill usages off the back of the character card. This way if an item gets loaned out/stolen/etc. the other party knows what has been used and what has not. This does mean a little more juggling, as you may need to get out more than just your character card when checking off usage (Though bonus vala will be tracked on the back of the card instead of on the item because an item needs to be spirit linked to get bonus vala - it shouldn't change hands)
Necrocytosis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it safe to assume that the standard of Fortnight will be getting an updated tag to reflect this change? It would make it much easier to know what's been used on it if you are doing so.
tabrumj

Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love having the check boxes added to items. That saves me a bunch of writing every game.
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that the standard of Fortnight will be getting an updated tag to reflect this change? It would make it much easier to know what's been used on it if you are doing so.

Probably not this event (I have a couple modifications I still need to do for relic tags in the database) but yes, we will have one each event to track its usage
wytenyte

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all your thoughts and work on this ... and the work to come.
It sounds very workable (if it does't give Ray a heart attack)
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't put a ton more work on Ray, but you all may need to cut your magic item tags at event (we will provide a paper cutter or scissors). My design at this point is tentatively a half page sized magic item tag (since adding check boxes increases its size a fair bit), but I do hope I can tweak it to still be usable at quarter page size to cut paper usage in half.
Renloth

Safety - Safety
World - World/Character Ref
Head of Immersion - Head Immersion Ref

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem unlikely then, that magic item tags will be required to be attached to armor/weapons/other physreps?
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would seem unlikely then, that magic item tags will be required to be attached to armor/weapons/other physreps?

The rulebook has not required they be attached for well over a decade now, and that has not changed. While it provides some convenience in the rare cases when an item changes hands without the tag also changing hands, that convenience has always been vastly outweighed by how much of a pain in the ass it is for a ref to modify any tag attached to an item, as well as the challenge in attaching the tag to the majority of phys reps (a shield or buckler, usually not an issue - a necklace, chainmail, cloak, etc. - huge pain in the ass)
Renloth

Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mention it because there was some talk about bringing it back, over the last few months.
Necrocytosis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make an understanding clear I'm curious why we are putting check boxes on the tags if we aren't required to put the tags on the phys rep somehow. If the tag isn't required to be on the phys rep we will still see the same problem of confusion when lending items out during battle occurring would we not? This would also be the case if an item is stolen or if the owner loses the item. I like the idea and I think it could work but I see flaws with the system as well. I'm only asking for clarification please.
Renloth

Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically, the tag has to go where the physrep goes. It's up to the players to communicate that and have both look at the tag and check things off as they are used.

As for stealing, if you can get the physrep, you are required to go to plot and report the theft as soon as possible. A plot ref will go and retrieve the tag.
Josh

Owner - Owner
Web Master - Web Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the majority of cases it would probably be better to put the check boxes on the back of the character card (which will now be programmatically generated to reflect the abilities you actually have, rather than a generic sheet). Most items don't change hands very often - Uldin doesn't lend his sword out like he is running an Avis but for magic items. However, there are a minority of items where using the back of the card is sub-optimal because the item really isn't reliably associated with a single character. Those items do tend to have the tag affixed (for example, we should probably modify the fortnight standard to have a little card holder that makes keeping a tag with it pretty easy)

I guess a question for the playership - I could conditionally choose to put the tracking on the item OR the back of the character card, depending on whether the database contains info that would let me infer that the item is generally exclusive to one character (spirit link, obviously, but the database can also track if the item is currently an reliquary or grimault which would imply some degree monogamy on the part of the item). Would it be too confusing to have the tracking some times on the back of the card and some times on the magic item tag? Personally I would find it convenient to track effects from spirit linked items on my card, so I didn't *also* have to pull out the item tags when checking off usages at breaks in encounters
Renloth

Safety - Safety

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does have something of a corner case if the spirit link is broken, of course. Whether that's worth worrying about, I'm not sure.
Dan H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh.

Now that that's out there. I like the idea of being able to track what usage of things are in an item. But, I don't like the idea of not being able to attach things to items if the tags are too big.

I may be in the minority here, but, generally, I like being able to pick up an item and go. Especially if I am jumping out of bed. If I have to chase someone out the door that grabbed something from the cabin in the middle of the night, generally speaking, I'm grabbing a sword, not the pouch of tags hanging next to the bed. That could prove very inconvenient. At least in my opinion.

What to do about it, I'm not sure. Though admittedly, it will be harder to loose magic items at home. Very Happy

These ritual symbols brought to you by: Endrani Ritual Services, "Die Happy" Smile

"I'm gonna go ahead and resist charm on that one.. " .. .. Plazz
Anna

Owner - Owner
Logistics - Logistics

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attach a small sleeve, like a card cover, slide tags in and out, folded if need be!

© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index
terms of useForum/Website Policies
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
terms of useSearch