Music Book
Home > Forum Index > Game Setting Discussions > Music Book

wytenyte
Rules
Hi All

Marcel (aka Marcelo Montoya) has literally been visiting every town in Warwick to improve his maps and compile a list of favourite songs. He started mid July leaving from Crossroads (while everyone else went to Rose Hill) and will arrive in Fortnight (for the first time ever) November 10 having completed the trip.

He hopes eventually (early in the new year) to supply all interested participants with physrep songbooks, which he will use to teach interested participants as many drinking songs, battle chants, canons, ballads, chansons, and trouvers as people can utter between inevitable attacks.

Now it is your turn to add any songs you want included in the list. Once the book is sent to the scrivener it will be too late to add new ideas easily.

I already have over 30 medieval and renaissance songs, but these have not been tested by the players. Your opinion matters. Please tell me what you want to have included in the official "Top 50 of Warwick."

Most entries in the book will have:
- name and author
- english words (and original words if avialable)
- sheet music
- youtube link to some kind of version of it

I can do most of the research, but the more you can send me, the better.
There are many songs with the same title, and even some with the same words and different tune. So, the more information you can send me about your favourite song, the more likely I will find enough info to include it in the book.

In particular I am looking for songs that:
- are either very old, or sound that way
- do NOT sound like modern pop songs
- are singable by one or two people with minimal or no accompaniment
- are fun, uplifting, or at least easy (not necessarily all three)
- a variety of styles are encouraged
- have at least one partly English version available

Please send your ideas and requests to:

PM: wytenyte
email: wytenyte ( a t ) shaw.ca

Have fun,
Martin (the) Hamm
Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Reply with quote  Back to top

Anna
World
*thumbs up*
Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:19 am

Faenaria
Anything by the SCA Bard Wyndwraith is fantastic for that kind of stuff. Her real name is Karen... something.... she has a website I'll see if I can find it.
Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:33 pm

wytenyte
Rules
Thanks Anna.

Thanks Faenaria.
I haven't find a Wyndwraith or "wynd wraith" yet, so if you have any further clues, I'd be much obliged.
Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:57 pm

wytenyte
Rules
Wyndwraith herself was a bust ... but SCA turned out to be a goldmine with their own compiled bard book.

Though much of their book is too modern for me, and rewritten to fit their history and locations, there is still loads of great material to rummage through - including many that I hadn't already found.

Thanks again for the lead Faenaria.

If anyone else has some suggestions fire away ...
Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Faenaria
It's Wyndreth, my bad
https://wyndrethsavagedaughtershieldmaid.bandcamp.com/
Savage Daughter and Lifeblood (A Viking Drinking Song) are good starting points
Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:30 am

wytenyte
Rules
Yes Faenaria, Wyndreth is an instant favourite.

The original music is well suited to the style and does not sound modern. Her voice is strong and bold and suited to the lyrics she sings. Unfortunately, it will likely be impossible to get sheet music for these, but I will include the lyrics to a few of these and a recommendation to buy (or at least listen) to her tracks.

Without the notes it will be hard to create any kind of an accompaniment to these songs, but if you, or anyone else at event can learn the tunes by rote, I'm sure I won't be the only one joining in on the 2nd chorus.

Thanks for the tip.
Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Memoria
Do you want some romani/gypsy songs? Or just bardic style
Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:42 am

wytenyte
Rules
Please!

I was actually going to eventually get around to asking you for a couple of tunes anyway.

Marcel is a gypsy after all ... though more of the gitano persuasion.

I am open to any music that is appropriate to period and performable with the people and spaces that we have. (I.e. nothing that requires complex accompaniment or that is too obviously tonic-dominant harmony). I am willing to stretch this requirement a little for songs that players already have referenced or used in game, or that can be performed in a way that sounds more periodic than the original arrangement.

I have focused on Alban, Inishmoran, and Malayan tunes in my own research because of Marcel's own background (and mine), but this is only for my convenience. I will include any appropriate song recommended by the people of warwick as long as I can find enough information about it online.

As a side note: This project is not intended to be at all exclusive. Once we get the mood of performance happening, people are welcome to continue to come up with their own tunes that are not "in the book" but this is likely to lead to a solo act more than a group Hurrah.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 am

Jessie
Logistics World
Artists I am particularly fond of for event music:

Heather Alexander - Beautiful voice, and very much the types of songs you would expect at a Ren Faire, also the beats are simple enough that they can easily be replicated on a table. (yes, she is now a man, but the songs I know are not sung by Alexander Adams, they are sung by Heather, though I am sure Alexander has some gems as well)

Mediaeval Baebes - they sing a lot of middle to old english songs, very cool. Little bit of latin in there as well.

The Wailing Jenny's - I have been thinking of adding some of their songs to my repertoire, and the more people know their songs, the more we could play with harmony, which I love. I discovered them through my bluegrass Pandora station, if that gives you and idea for the feel of their music. Minimal accompaniment.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 pm

EtherDragon
I outright steal arrangements from Malukah because they are very bardic and periodesquie. (https://www.youtube.com/user/malufenix)

Most of her songs on her channel have chords and lyrics available at her website.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:05 pm

wytenyte
Rules
Due to the ridiculous complexity of this task, I am now looking at an August publication date.

It will be available for IG currency or favour only (because I can't collect cash for songs I haven't written).

... On the plus side its not too late to still make submissions (couch cough Vervain)
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Expand Menu Rulebook Game Setting Character Management Forum Log InRegister
close dialog Login

Forgot User ID or Password?

close dialog Register

By registering users agree to abide by this website's Terms of Use

close dialog Character Management

All requests to create a new character or make changes to existing characters is handled by emailing Logistics. When creating a new character or making significant changes to an existing character players should use the Character card maker. For more minor changes players may just describe the change that they wish to make, for example "I wish to spend 200 favor to buy Skill points, and use those skill points to buy 3 purchases of the Skill Reserve". The email should contain the player's name, and if it is an update to an existing character, the character name as it appears on the character card - Logistics may not be aware of which character a nick name goes to.

Players should also email Logistics with Character Production (Items the character is making with Skills such as Smith, Alchemist, or Spell Wright) for the upcoming month so that Logistics is able to make the Item Tags in advance. For example "I wish to use my 50 Smith production to make a standard crafted 1 handed weapon".

Production and Character Updates MUST be submitted no later than the Friday prior to the event in order to provide Logistics sufficient time to complete the request prior to event, unless Logistics has specifically announced a different policy for a specific event (for example, if events are only 2 weeks apart Logistics often allows submissions into the week of event).
close dialog Upcoming Events