Newbie hello + Questions View previous topic :: View next topic  
HammerValkyrie
Name: login to view

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Newbie hello + Questions Reply with quote

Hello! Afraid I joined too late to actually go through the process of creating a character (MAN that is intense!) but I've been plugging away at the rulebook and trying to figure out what I ultimately want to do.

However I have some questions/concerns (and I really, REALLY hope I'm not in the wrong channel for this).

So, I have a small group of friends who have been looking into finding a new LARP group (which is why I'm here lol). I assume there are some criteria for checking weapons in the rulebook or on the site, but I'm pretty sure I haven't hit them yet, so I won't ask those questions yet. My biggest issue comes from costuming. Most of my friends say that they are automatically uncomfortable with attending due to the costuming requirements for the Endrani (all skin covered in black makeup). However, as a freelance reporter, I know that to any outsider this will appear to be blackfacing instead. (Please Google if you are confused.)

I realize what the Endrani are representing in-game (simply, dark-skinned Fae), but this will not always translate well to an outsider. Is this something that can possibly be reviewed/changed? Or is an update already done and I'm just not finding the right rulebook? XD

Thank you! And I hope to make the next event!!

--Valkyrie
Faenaria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a number of friends who are POC about this in regard to drow and cosplaying drow characters (same idea as Endrani, black skin, white hair, etc.) and the consensus has always been that the look is very clearly a fantasy look and not an attempt at black face, that it doesn't look anything like someone trying to look like an existing group of people.

That's just my friends though, and they are pretty big sci-fi and fantasy buffs so POC who aren't into those kinds of genres may feel differently.

I don't know personally if Legacies has ever looked into changing it, I haven't played long enough.
Dan H

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm going to chime in since I've just retired an endrani.

I've had a similar discussion with a friend at game and he does have the same concerns, but he has also stated directly, the the Drow/endrani makeup is definitely not blackface.

The blackface was intended to accentuate certain attributes and facial features along with color.

That being said, I have a simple saying. Show me a blackface with pointed ears and medieval armor, and I might listen. Simply put, in my opinion, what I am portraying is extremely obvious.

In the game setting, we have had no complaints about racial makeup trying to portray racism. Furthermore, in the years I have gone to Norwescon as a Drow, I have come across only one person who has ever said anything. And it was obvious this person was looking for something to complain about.

In short, and this is my personal opinion on the subject, anyone who makes a connection the science fiction genre and the racism of blackface is showing lazy thinking, or looking for something to yell about.

Now, from your post, it doesn't sound like your group is either of that, but concerned that people make that connection. Like I said, I've come across it only once, and that was at a convention 7 or 8 years ago, and I've never had a problem with it at Legacies. And I'm one of the ones at the end of game usually going, F- it, I'll deal with makeup at home.

Edit:
Just re-read your post, and my question is this, and very seriously this.

"Why are they uncomfortable?"

These ritual symbols brought to you by: Endrani Ritual Services, "Die Happy" Smile

"I'm gonna go ahead and resist charm on that one.. " .. .. Plazz
tabrumj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this hasn't been addressed for Legacies as of yet, probably due to the fact that it's really hard to mistake Endrani makeup for blackface. Between the obvious fantasy outfits and the distinctive hair (typically stark white) it is very distinctive. I think if multiple people were to complain it is something the game owners would address.

That being said Dan, a lack of direct complaint does not mean you have not made people uncomfortable, it just means that they have said nothing to you. Someone who is unfamiliar with fandom might not catch the substantial differences, and it looks real bad if they don't.

We have recently made other choices to avoid similar issues. We used to have Dwarves and Gypsies in the game. Those were changed to Dverg and Trandofir(sp?) over the past couple of rules updates.
HammerValkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the fantasy outfit does help. I was thinking more from a new player perspective who doesn’t have a lot of garb suitable for fighting, though. But I’m glad to see the general consensus is at least positive and accommodating. Smile

Alright! So I guess I need to work on getting a character together! And...finding the rules on what constitutes a legal weapon. Because part of me is seriously tempted to make an arcane archer type character.
Faenaria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thrift store is a great starting point for LARP costuming. I have a video I did that I can share if you like?
tabrumj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the rules for weapon construction, they can be located on page 149 of the rulebook.

Quote:
Weapon Phys Reps have the most stringent requirements of any Phys Rep at Legacies, as poorly constructed weapons pose a significant safety risk. At the beginning of each event a player must have all of their weapons inspected to ensure that they meet minimum safety requirements.While it is never the intention to damage weapon Phys Reps, the inspection does test resistance to minor flex and other material stress, which may harm particularly poorly constructed weapons.For more information, see the safety section at the end of “Chapter 1: The Basics”.

Weapons should be construction of open cell or soft closed cell foam, with a rigid core not prone to breaking or flexing overly much.Fiberglass or carbon fiber, such as Kite Spar (rods used by kite makers) makes ideal cores, while wood, bamboo, and other plant fibers are generally restricted given their high tendency to splinter with the stresses of combat. The foam should be covered with a coat of resilient latex paint, non-abrasive cloth, or a single layer of duct tape place lengthwise down the weapon rather than spiral wrapped. Weapons should be fairly light, with enough foam on the striking surface so that the core cannot be felt when struck. All weapons need a soft foam tipin order to be safe for occasional thrusting however if the weapon is designed to encourage frequent thrusting attacks(for example, a spear) the tip of the weapon must have additional padding. Striking surfaces must be at least 8” in length, and the tip of the striking surface must be at least 8” from the hand that holds the weapons.

There are several professional Boffer Safe Latex Weapon manufacturers that make exceptionally good looking safe weapons, however no manufacturer is specifically guaranteed to pass safety check.Variations and changes in manufacturing and construction processes do occur, so all weapons regardless of manufacturer must be safety checked each event.A list of online stores selling these weapons can be found on the Legacies Website at http://legacieslarp.org/webmenu/links.php?type=1. There are also directions on how to make a flat blade boffer weapon for people who want a reasonably easy tutorial to make a simple weapon found at http://legacieslarp.org/playermenu/flatblade.php.

Thrown Missile Weapons must be light and must either be coreless, or have a very light core. They should be made entirely of covered foam, with few protruding edges, though they may be weighted with rice or similar granular objects. Launched weapons, such as bows and crossbows may not have a draw weight exceeding 35 pounds at 28 inches of draw. Safe ammunition for launched weapons is exceptionally difficult to construct; rather than provide guidelines it is the policy of Legacies that players consult the Head of Safety if they wish to make ammunition. Similar to professionally made latex weapons, there are arrows and bolts made specifically foruse with LARPs and it is preferable that these are used.

Every melee weapon must be safety checked every event by either a member of Logistics, the Head of Safety, an Owner, or the Head of Rules. All thrown and launched weapons must be checked every event by the Head of Safety (or their designated proxy should they notmake an event). This is to ensure there has been no unsafe degradation of the Phys Reps due to use.

Below are example weapon lengths for each type of weapon, however the lengths are only guidelines rather than hard requirements. Weapons wielded by each of the abilities should loosely fall within the size range, for example a weapon wielded by the Skill One Handed should have a Phys rep that is between 12” and 40” long. Weapons larger than that would probably be more appropriate for the 2 Handed Weapon Skill. However these lengths are not hard and fast rules; for example, weapons such as axes, hammers, and maces, where the striking surface is a head at the end of a shaft are more dependent on the size and weight of the head than the actual length of the weapon. An axe with a very large head may be used as a Two Handed Weapon even if the haft that it is mounted on is much shorter than the example lengths listed below.

HammerValkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tabrumj, I hadn’t gotten that far in the rule book yet. Smile

I suppose now that I know what I’m doing it’s still too late to register and submit a character sheet?
James

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had new people show up at game without characters ready, so while it is too late to pre-register it is safe to say we're a very welcoming group. Also, we do have a full NPC slot open. I'd be happy to help you learn by sending you out to murder my friends.

For a proper answer, try to contact Ray at logistics@legacieslarp.org

He is the boss of such things

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - HPL
HammerValkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do that! Thanks!

© 2011
Legacies LARP
Register •  Contact •  Log In 
Forum Links
Forum IndexForum Index